about the firm
Mark Bonanno founded healthlawoffice.com in 2000. He brought with him five years of concentrated experience in health care legal issues as an associate at a Portland law firm that was general counsel to the Oregon Medical Association.
Mark has been a member of the American Health Lawyers Association since 1993, and in 2011 was appointed as Chair of the Fraud and Abuse Practice Group. He is a co-author of a chapter in the second edition of the AHLA’s Representing Physicians Handbook.
In 2001, he served as Chair of the Oregon State Bar Health Law Section, and received the Award of Merit from the Multnomah Bar Association for his service as Chair of the Group Insurance Committee. Mark was appointed to the Washington State Bar Health Law Section Council in 2009.
From 1995 through 2006, he taught health law as an adjunct professor in the Mark O. Hatfield School of Government at Portland State University.
Mark is a member of the bar in the District of Columbia, Oregon, and Washington.
Health lawyers must be dedicated to the health care industry because the laws governing the delivery and financing of health care are everchanging and complex.
Mark provides public speaking services on health care business and compliance legal issues to anyone who has the patience to listen and he enjoys writing on the same subject for anyone who enjoys reading. Seminars and publications of note include:
Medicare Compliance: We Found a Witch!
Compliance Today (Health Care Compliance Ass’n, June 2008)
Compliance Programs as a Practical Tool to Improve Quality of Care
Medicine in Oregon (Oregon Medical Ass’n, Winter 2010)
Federal Regulatory Update: The Upside Down Development of ACOs, Oregon Medical Ass’n (Oct. 22, 2010)
The firm focuses on providing business and compliance legal services to health care companies and professionals.
- Outside general counsel services
- Registered agent services
- Business formation, state filings, organizational meetings
- Ongoing business representation
- Conduct annual meetings
- Amendment of business operational documents
- Buying or selling business interests
- Contract drafting and reviewing
- Drafting and reviewing employment agreements
- Early dispute assessment and non-litigation resolution to avoid costly and protracted lawsuits
- Monitor and support matters referred to litigation to achieve cost-effective results
- General health care compliance services
- Develop or update compliance programs
- Conduct compliance reviews and training
- Health care regulatory research and guidance
- Drafting and reviewing physician services agreements
- Reviewing health plan participating provider agreements
- Drafting and reviewing medical services agreements
- Drafting and reviewing health care contracts and regulatory forms
- Consultation to health care providers on formation and operational issues unique to the health care industry
- Evaluate HIPAA breach issues
- Compliance Contact services for Corporate Integrity Agreements
- Formal and informal agency interaction
- Monitor state and federal legislative developments
- Routine and responsive audit engagements
- Coordinate defense of fraud and abuse matters